[smokeping-users] Re: SmokePing Capacity For Large Scale Deployment...

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 17 22:55:56 MET 2006

Hi Dan,

the problem will be the latency for gathering the ping response ...
I don't think a decent linux box will have issues with pinging 5000
devices ...

the key to gettig this up and runing will be to look at the
performance of your box and see where you are hitting the wall
... and then look at that particular area ...

Today DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:

> All,
>
> I am looking into a full scale deployment of smokeping (5,000+
> devices). Currently, I'm trying to figure out the number of devices that
> smokeping can handle and the hardward requirements. I'd appreciate it if
> anyone can help me answer the questions of:
>
> 1) Is there/what is a Max number of devices that smokeping can handle
> (or how many you are currently monitoring).
> 2) The hardware resources that are needed to run smokeping at its
> maximum capacity (or the hardware you are currently running).
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -Dan
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286