[smokeping-users] Best Practices

mchandler at solutions.canon.com mchandler at solutions.canon.com
Fri Jul 21 18:13:00 MEST 2006

Well, I finally got SmokePing up and running thanks to all of you and the
help of this community.  Now the stock install uses FPing to send 20 pings
every 10 minutes.  If I'm correct on that assumption, I believe it's the
step parameter that adjusts how often it'll send those pings.  What I'm
wondering is, can you get a more granular view if you step up the FPing
probe from 10 minutes to 5 minutes or even 1 minute.  I don't think 20
pings every minute would be that intrusive to the network at the size they
are.  I've tried that and SmokePing didn't like it, wanted the graphs
converted to the new scale, I think.  I'm not even sure how to convert the
RRD data, but that's beside the point.  I wanted to know what the best
practice is.  What are all of you doing to monitor your networks and what
have you found that works well for you.  If the consensus is that a little
more is better, then I'll look closer at changing my setup.  Any and all
input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Chandler Bing