[smokeping-users] Re: Monitoring Lotus Notes and Oracle Web

Craig Dibble craig at rootdev.com
Mon Jul 24 01:48:17 MEST 2006

mchandler at solutions.canon.com wrote:
> Our two primary applications across the network are Lotus Notes and our
> Oracle Web server.  The best I could come up with to monitor Notes was just
> to ping it, but I've setup HPing and I'm considering pinging the port as a
> better alternative, but I was wondering if there was a better way to do
> that.  Will HPing really test the responsiveness of Notes itself?
>
> Likewise we have an Oracle Web server and I have EchoPingHttp pulling down
> the login page, but I think that only tests the responsiveness of the web
> server, not Oracle.  Wouldn't I want to do something to test both?  Has
> anyone done anything with Oracle web?

Hi Chandler,

You could try using the curl probe to fetch a url, but to be honest it
sounds to me like you would be better off looking into a monitoring
suite like Nagios or Pandora. Smokeping is designed to monitor network
latency, and does it very well, but if you want to monitor things at the
application level then it really is not the best tool for the job.

http://www.nagios.org/
http://pandoramon.sourceforge.net/en/index.php

Probably not the advice you wanted to hear I'm afraid but it sounds like
  they would be more suited to your needs,

Regards,
Craig Dibble