[smokeping-users] Re: Monitoring Lotus Notes and Oracle Web

Fred Skrotzki fskrotzki at textwise.com
Mon Jul 24 16:20:32 MEST 2006

Also take a look at OpenNMS found at http://www.opennms.org

-----Original Message-----
From: smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
[mailto:smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Craig
Dibble
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:48 PM
To: mchandler at solutions.canon.com
Cc: smokeping-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [smokeping-users] Re: Monitoring Lotus Notes and Oracle Web

mchandler at solutions.canon.com wrote:
> Our two primary applications across the network are Lotus Notes and
> our Oracle Web server.  The best I could come up with to monitor Notes

> was just to ping it, but I've setup HPing and I'm considering pinging
> the port as a better alternative, but I was wondering if there was a
> better way to do that.  Will HPing really test the responsiveness of
Notes itself?

> Likewise we have an Oracle Web server and I have EchoPingHttp pulling
> down the login page, but I think that only tests the responsiveness of

> the web server, not Oracle.  Wouldn't I want to do something to test
> both?  Has anyone done anything with Oracle web?

Hi Chandler,

You could try using the curl probe to fetch a url, but to be honest it
sounds to me like you would be better off looking into a monitoring
suite like Nagios or Pandora. Smokeping is designed to monitor network
latency, and does it very well, but if you want to monitor things at the
application level then it really is not the best tool for the job.

http://www.nagios.org/
http://pandoramon.sourceforge.net/en/index.php

Probably not the advice you wanted to hear I'm afraid but it sounds like
  they would be more suited to your needs,

Regards,
Craig Dibble