[smokeping-users] Customizing alerts

Westlake, Simon simon.westlake at twcable.com
Thu Jul 27 15:10:27 MEST 2006

I'm currently automatically generating my Smokeping configuration file
based on information in a SQL database, and I'm using a unique ID
(integer) from the database as the name of each device in Smokeping.

This makes it easy to ensure that there are no duplicate names in the
config file, but it makes the email alerts a little meaningless (most
people don't know what packetloss on World.USA.3928 is)

Is there a way I can customize these alerts without too much Smokeping
hacking, or am I stuck appending a name onto each entry in my Smokeping
file? I do have the name inserted as the remark but since I'm not using
the standard Smokeping.cgi to display the graphs, this doesn't help a
great deal either.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

--
Simon Westlake
Time Warner Cable Business Class