[smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping daemon doesn't start

Rune Thorsplass gizze at c2i.net
Mon Jul 31 17:09:07 MEST 2006

Hi Tony
I have checked thru my config, and I have still no success running smokeping
in "daemon"-mode.
Everything works nicely when I use "smokeping --nodaemon"

I don't use exactly the same versions like you, and I have put some of the
files in different catalogs, but I don't think this is the problem. It's
strange that I can't see any messages in syslog when i try to start in
daemon-mode.

This is what I see when I run ./smokeping
### fping seems to report in 1 milliseconds
Note: logging to syslog as local0/info.
Daemonizing ./smokeping ...

and with --nodaemon
[root at syslog bin]# ./smokeping --nodaemon
# ### fping seems to report in 1 milliseconds
Smokeping version 2.000009 successfully launched.
Entering multiprocess mode.
CiscoRTTMonTcpConnect: probing 1 targets with step 120 s and offset 60
s.Child process 28153 started for probe CiscoRTTMonTcpConnect.

Child process 28154 started for probe CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP.
CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP: probing 16 targets with step 120 s and offset 60 s.
Child process 28155 started for probe FPing.
All probe processes started successfully.
FPing: probing 8 targets with step 300 s and offset 272 s.

RuneT