[smokeping-users] Shortening the step causes smokeping to fail

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:50:56 MEST 2006

Hello All,

I'm having a problem lowering the 'step' interval with smokeping 2.0.5.

I wanted to drop it from the default 300 s down to 30 s (though
perhaps 60 is more reasonable).  I currently have 113 targets defined.

I adjusted the 'step' setting, and restarted smokeping.  At that point
i realized that the RRD files need to agree with the config file, so i
deleted the RRD files, started smokeping, and waited.

What i discovered has varied and is confusing to me.  The latest
symptoms were a step of 30, but the packets were only actually being
sent every 5 minutes, resulting in completely strange graphs, with 4.5
minute graps between a 30s sample.

Currenly, i dropped the number of pings to 10, step of 60, and i get
no test probes at all, and my system is not sending out ICMP packets.

I have not changed the database definitions at all, but i have deleted
the RRD files after changing step or pings settings.

I've become baffled, i don't understand what's failing, the logs don't
seem to complain.  Does anyone have ideas of what's going wrong?

Thanks much,
Jonathan