[smokeping-users] Re: The Probevars problem

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Mar 17 13:09:21 MET 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 02:24:15PM -0000, Guðmundur Örn Ingvarsson - TM Software Skyggnir wrote:
> That doesn't seem to be the case, the lib paths are all pointing to the correct directories for smokeping.

> > Can't locate object method "probevars" via package "Smokeping::probes::FPing" at /usr/local/smokeping/lib/Smokeping/probes/FPing.pm line 156, <File> line 90.

Ahh, found it.

I can reproduce the problem by having the probes subdirectory in @INC.
Remove any instances of

use lib '<...>/Smokeping/probes'

You should only need to specify the main directory, where Smokeping.pm resides.

For anybody interested, the problem is that FPing.pm has

use base qw(Smokeping::probes::base);

but when the probes directory is in @INC, the base.pm there is used for
the 'use base' part, instead of the base.pm in the system directory.

That's what you get for naming modules all-lowercase. I'll see if I get
around to fixing this, or at least documenting it somewhere.

Cheers,
--
Niko