[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping and echoping

Jeff Welty weloki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 23:04:21 MET 2006

Hi Niko,
I was able to get EchoPingHttp to work, but I'm finding as I add more hosts
with the FPing probe, the EchoPing charts start reporting intermittently --
so I get like a dotted line on those charts (I attached an image of one such
chart).
The config that has been working looks like this:
*** Probes ***

+ FPing
binary = /usr/local/sbin/fping

+ EchoPingHttp
binary = /usr/local/bin/echoping
forks = 160
#offset = 50%
step = 60
pings = 10
#ignore_cache = yes

*** Targets ***

probe = FPing

+ C1
menu = Commodity Internet
title = Commodity Internet

++ Google
menu = Google FPing
title = Google FPing
host = google.com

++ Google2
probe = EchoPingHttp
menu = Google EchoPing
title = Google EchoPing
host = google.com

+ R&E
++ Internet2
+++ Host-1
+++ Host-2
+++ Host-n

Of course the "..." just stands for "menu, title, host" variables, etc.

Jeff

On 11/15/06, Niko Tyni <ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 10:51:59AM -0500, Jeff Welty wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to add echoping as a probe within the smokeping config
> file.
> > I have under *** Probes *** this entry:
> > + EchoPing
> > binary = /usr/local/bin/echoping
> > ...then I see nothing, but when I enter under *** Targets *** the entry:
> > ++ Google
> > probe = EchoPing
> >
> > ...the graph within the smokeping interface for Google completely stops
> > working.
> > What do I have wrong?
>
> If that's all you have in the targets section, the problem is that you
> aren't
> telling smokeping the host you want to measure (the 'host' variable).
>
> Otherwise, running the daemon with 'smokeping --debug' gives debugging
> info. The smokeping_examples document might help, there's a section
> about echoping.
>
> If you still have problems, please include the whole config file (or at
> least the Probes and the Targets sections.)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Niko
>
> --