[smokeping-users] Re: Email alerts from Smokeping

Craig Dibble craig at rootdev.com
Wed Sep 20 01:52:31 MEST 2006

Srinivas Makam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have configured Smokeping 2.04 for sending email alerts if latency or packet loss exceeds a threshold.

>   I am not getting any emails. I see some alerts in the /var/log/messages file.
>
>   Please provide me some clues as to what I am missing or how I can test.

>   ------------------------config snippet-------------------
>   contact  = Srinivas.Makam at sun.com
> mailhost = ilsmtp.soib.cps.k12.il.us
> sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail

Try removing one or the other of these. 'mailhost' will try to use the
perl Net::SMTP module to send messages rather than using sendmail, and
may be getting confused.

If your sendmail is properly configured then just use this. Can you send
mail from this server directly or have you got the smtp server set up
correctly as a smarthost? You should be able to do a few simple tests to
figure this out.

can you telnet to port 25 on localhost and/or the smtp server?

What happens if you try something like:

$ echo "hello" |mail me at mydomain.com

on the command line?

Are you getting any messages in /var/log/maillog that might indicate
what is going on?

If sendmail is not working then try the mailhost line instead and see
what happens. I use this on some of my systems where for security
reasons there is no local MTA and it works fine.

Hope that helps,
Craig