[smokeping-users] alerts question - AND operator?

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Sat Aug 18 23:03:27 CEST 2007

Hi Steve;

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but there is a way
to limit which email(s) get sent out.

As of SmokePing 2.1.0, you can assign a priority setting to alerts.
 From the SmokePing manual:

*priority*
    if multiple alerts 'match' only the one with the highest priority
    (lowest number) will cause and alert to be sent. Alerts without
    priority will be sent in any case.

So what you could do is set up your rules like this:

+loss15
type = loss
pattern = >15%
comment = Some loss, poor performance, link still up
priority = 100
+loss50
type = loss
pattern = >50%
comment = Lots of loss, awful performance, link still up
priority = 50
+loss100
type = loss
pattern = >99%
comment = Link down.
priority = 0

This way, if your loss is e.g. 90%, both loss50 and loss15 will match,
but the priority rules mean that an alert only get sent out for the
loss50 alert.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps!

- Peter