[smokeping-users] Measure latency to TCP ports

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Dec 13 16:53:26 CET 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 09:45:48AM -0600,
 tbh <tbh1000 at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> I can't find a whole lot of documentation on EchoPing...

The man page? What's missing in it?

> but I'm really just looking for to measure latency on a SYN packet
> to the port.

It is displayed by echoping under the "TCP Latency" label.

On Linux (because it relies on non-portable stuff), echoping displays
also separately the TCP RTT as measured by the kernel (it is typically
the same as above).

% echoping -v -R -h / www.smokeping.org

This is echoping, version 6.0.1.

Trying to connect to internet address 213.144.138.195 80 to transmit 93 bytes...
Connected...
TCP Latency: 0.122718 seconds
Sent (93 bytes)...
Application Latency: 0.122535 seconds
676 bytes read from server.
Estimated TCP RTT: 0.1200 seconds (std. deviation 0.045)
Elapsed time: 1.018661 seconds

Now, I don't know how to use it from Smokeping but someone here may?