[smokeping-users] URL issue when using IP insead of hostname

Christopher Hubbard christopher.hubbard at clearwire.com
Thu Dec 20 21:37:08 CET 2007

I have an odd problem that is due to the fact that I am using the IP
address of the device as the hostname.  I was wondering if anyone else
has run into this issue and has a fix for it.  I cannot easily change
this to a normal name since I have injected scripts that do some
troubleshooting and send SNMP traps, so I am hoping for an alternitave
if anyone has some ideas.

I assume that this has to do with the periods that are in the hostname,
but that really does not make sense to me since I would expect some
users to put in FQDN's on some of their devices as well, and this would
be seen more often.

Here is an example URL:
http://somedomain.net/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=AK-ANC.10.0.0.0

Here is the error:

Software error:

ERROR: Section '65' does not exist (display webpage).

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (tierii at somedomain.com),
giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

The main smokeping page comes up and everything works correctly there.
Also the links are created correctly for the URL's, and RRD images are
displayed on the top level.  This is only happening when I drill down to
a specific IP (hostname) that I see the odd behavior.

I am running version 2.002007