[smokeping-users] Echoping again

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 7 23:15:22 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:48:31PM +0100, Jacek Osiecki wrote:

> I am having problems with EchoPingHttp. I am trying to set up smokeping
> (version 2.0.9) to use EchoPingHttp for several probes.
>
> First it completely did not work - the problem was easy to correct, since it
> was about using "-h /" instead of "-h/". However, after repairing it probes
> still don't appear, and syslog is filled with following lines:

This is an incompatibility with echoping 6, and will be fixed in the next
release.

> Jan 12 15:50:53 mainserv smokeping[10182]: RRDs::update ERROR: conversion of
> '0.001807' to float not complete: tail '.001807'
>
> I tried to google for some solution, but could not find anything that would
> solve the problem - neither on the newsgroups nor on the smokeping-users
> list archive...
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Using a beta version of Echoping, apparently. Please include the
versions of echoping and rrdtool you're using.

We'd still like to fix it, of course. Please try 'smokeping --debug'
and see how the echoping command is run. Then send the output of that
command verbatim.

Hm, this could be a locale problem (rrdtool uses strtod(3), which
honors locales), except that lib/Smokeping.pm already resets LC_NUMERIC.
Try to run in the C locale or similar anyway, to rule that out.

Cheers,
--
Niko