[smokeping-users] Echoping again

Jacek Osiecki joshua at silvercube.pl
Thu Feb 8 10:48:12 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Niko Tyni wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:48:31PM +0100, Jacek Osiecki wrote:
>> I am having problems with EchoPingHttp. I am trying to set up smokeping
>> (version 2.0.9) to use EchoPingHttp for several probes.
>> First it completely did not work - the problem was easy to correct, since it
>> was about using "-h /" instead of "-h/". However, after repairing it probes
>> still don't appear, and syslog is filled with following lines:

> This is an incompatibility with echoping 6, and will be fixed in the next
> release.

OK

>> Jan 12 15:50:53 mainserv smokeping[10182]: RRDs::update ERROR: conversion of
>> '0.001807' to float not complete: tail '.001807'

>> I tried to google for some solution, but could not find anything that would
>> solve the problem - neither on the newsgroups nor on the smokeping-users
>> list archive...

>> What am I doing wrong?

> Using a beta version of Echoping, apparently. Please include the
> versions of echoping and rrdtool you're using.

Actually, it was the only version I had in my linux distro (PLD linux).
Which one should I use?

Now I have:

echoping-6.0-0.BETA.0.1
perl-rrdtool-1.2.15-1
rrdtool-1.2.15-1

> We'd still like to fix it, of course. Please try 'smokeping --debug'
> and see how the echoping command is run. Then send the output of that
> command verbatim.

I'll try this.

> Hm, this could be a locale problem (rrdtool uses strtod(3), which
> honors locales), except that lib/Smokeping.pm already resets LC_NUMERIC.
> Try to run in the C locale or similar anyway, to rule that out.

It might be this issue - I am using locale pl_PL, and in Poland we have
comma instead of dot for separating decimal part in numbers... I'll try
running smokeping in C locale and will report here.

Greetz,
--
Jacek Osiecki
joshua at silvercube.pl