[smokeping-users] Packet loss calculations in Smokeping

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Feb 12 17:40:58 CET 2007

Vern,

> I am simply trying to understand how the "loss" field is calculated and
> how we have, for example, a 92.1% in the packet loss field of an rrd
> record.

92.1% happens because the loss field in the rrd file contains the
results from at least 2 rounds of probing since the rounds do not
coincide with the time interval the rrd file operates at.

so what you see is some loss from the previous round of probing and
some loss of the curent round ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902