[smokeping-users] slave smokeping spawn problem

Russell Dwarshuis rjd at merit.edu
Wed Nov 7 18:28:06 CET 2007

I noticed a problem on a slave.  I had too many smokeping processes
running.

It occurs when I make a change to the config file on the master.  The
changes get accepted by the slave, but I think it also spawns new
smokeping probe processes for each one already running.

In other words, on an idle slave I'll normally see
ps -Ao 'args'
/usr/bin/perl -w /usr/local/smokeping/bin/smokeping --master-url=blahblah
./smokeping [Curl]
./smokeping [FPing]
./smokeping [DNS]

But after I make a change to the config file on the master, I get
ps -Ao 'args'
/usr/bin/perl -w /usr/local/smokeping/bin/smokeping --master-url=blahblah
./smokeping [Curl]
./smokeping [FPing]
./smokeping [DNS]
./smokeping [Curl] [Curl]
./smokeping [Curl] [FPing]
./smokeping [Curl] [DNS]
./smokeping [FPing] [Curl]
./smokeping [FPing] [FPing]
./smokeping [FPing] [DNS]
./smokeping [DNS] [Curl]
./smokeping [DNS] [FPing]
./smokeping [DNS] [DNS]

The work-around is to pkill -QUIT smokeping on the slave and restart
smokeping.

                                           -Russell Dwarshuis