[smokeping-users] Satellite link - Packet Loss error

Adrian Minta adrian.minta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:53:08 CEST 2007

mlists at pinesalad.net wrote:
> Adrian M <adrian.minta <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On satellite links rtr > 580ms is not so uncommon.
>> Unfortunately smokeping is not graphing right such links.
>> Is there a way to fix this ?
>> "-t 20000" has no effect, and the culprit seems to be fping :(
>>

> Hi Adrian,
>
> We have Sat links that can be fairly high as well.
> Usually between 600ms to 1700ms depending on conditions.
>
> As I'm just setting up smokeping, I'm curious about the problem
> your seeing and if you found a resolution.
>
> If you still suspect fping, what version are you using?
> I would also create a text file of the list of target hosts and
> feed it to fping to see how it responds.
>
> Example:
> fping -aef myhostlist.txt
>
> sys1 (692 ms)
> sys2 (832 ms)
> sys3 (756 ms)
> sys4 (819 ms)
> sys5 (1092 ms)
> sys6 (1375 ms)
>
> So far I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary but again, I
> just got things setup.
>
> If it helps we are using fping version 2.4b2_to_ipv6 without debian patch.

fping -aef myhostlist.txt works but repeated pings to one host fail if the
rtr > 580ms.

fping -C 5 -q 10.10.10.33
10.10.10.33 : 552.39 563.67 548.83 560.51 -

So for fping the Packet Loss is 1/5 = 20%
I am using  fping (2.4b2-to-ipv6-14) debian default.

--
Best regards,
Adrian Minta    MA3173-RIPE, MA314-ROTLD, www.minta.ro