[smokeping-users] Satellite link - Packet Loss error

Chris Wilson chris+smokeping at aptivate.org
Wed Oct 10 17:46:32 CEST 2007

Hi Tobias,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> > Sorry, I can't find the code that passes that parameter to fping,
> > please could you enlighten me?
>
> search for timeout in
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/FPing.en.html

I can see the documentation for the timeout option, but not how this
results in a -t option being passed to fping. I downloaded SmokePing
2.0.5 and all I have is this:

    return unless @{$self->addresses};
    my @params = () ;
    push @params , "-b$self->{properties}{packetsize}" if
	$self->{properties}{packetsize};
    push @params, "-i" . int(1000 * $self->{properties}{mininterval});
    push @params, "-p" . int(1000 * $self->{properties}{hostinterval}) if
	$self->{properties}{hostinterval};
    my @cmd = (
                    $self->binary,
                    '-C', $self->pings, '-q','-B1','-r1',
                    @params,
                    @{$self->addresses});

which appears to give no way at all to provide -t.

> yes and if a packet is actually lost, then fping will have to wait
> for 10s to see if this is the case ...

But only once, regardless of the number of packets lost, which isn't too
bad in my opinion (versus 20 x 10 seconds).

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.