[smokeping-users] Smokeping packet loss issues

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Oct 10 18:00:10 CEST 2007

I am having some issues using smokeping with the fping plugin to
monitor one of my routers. Specifically, when using fping from the
command line, I get two, or occasionally three, packets returned from
the router, and then nothing, no matter how long I let it loop.
Stopping and restarting it gives me another two returns, then again
nothing. Smokeping shows the same situation, reporting 90% packet
loss. Using ping on the same host at the same time shows no packet
loss for as long as I want to leave it running. Using smokeping/fping
on two other identical routers also works properly- it is only this
one router that gives the issues, and only when using fping. These
are all high-latency hosts (600-1000 ms is typical), but I have the
timeout set to 2 seconds, so that should be more than long enough.
Would you have any idea why this is happening, and what I can do to
fix it? Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.