[smokeping-users] Slave/Master Again

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Oct 17 21:25:56 CEST 2007

Today Jeff Terrell wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Jeff Terrell wrote:
> > I am going to be setting up a couple more slaves soon, so hopefully I'll be
> > able to pay you back with some documentation improvements soon. :-)
>
> I looked over the "smokeping_master_slave" document on the web page, and there
> are several important things missing.  I think we could add a new section,
> "troubleshooting", to cover these points.  Here is what I have so far.
> Comments and corrections are welcome.
>
> Troubleshooting
> o	The host names are expected to be short names.  Change fully-qualified
> slave names in the configuration to short names.  Do this even if the master
> and slave are in different domains.  (The master looks up configuration based
> on the name the slave uses to identify itself.  As long as there are not two
> slaves with the same short name, everything should be fine.)  You might also
> need to change the hostname of the slave so that it reports a short name with
> the `hostname` command.  (Or, install Smokeping version X.X.X or later and use
> the --slave-name option, e.g. '--slave-name=`hostname -s`'.)

part of this problem was that no '.' was allowed in the hostename
... this is fixed ... the other important part is to use 'whatever
the slave thinkgs is his hostname'. the thing with defining the
hostname on the slave-side is a 'second option'

> o	The secrets file on the master is of the form
> "slave1:secret1\nslave2:secret2", but the secrets file on the slave should
> have only the secret of that slave.  For example, the secrets file on slave1
> will contain only "secret1".

the reason for this is that the secret of each slave is individual
to the slave by choosing the format like this we force the users to
actually have only that secret on the slave and not the others too.

> o	Make sure that smokeping.cgi runs on the master with permissions that
> allow it to write to the data directory.

yep

> o	Beware selinux, which could cause strange and unreported permissions
> problems.

oops

> Notes:
> - The hostname patch needs to be in the next version.  Then, update the
> "X.X.X" to reflect the new version number.

the 'next' version could be very close I hearde back from anyone
regarding the echo ping patch I sent out this week.

> - Speaking of the hostname patch, I think that might need to be tested.  I
> might be misremembering this, but I think I ended up using the patch on the
> master, but not on the slaves.  Or something like that...

see above ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902