[smokeping-users] RemoteFping to Multiple Machines

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Sat Sep 1 16:36:05 CEST 2007

Hi Martin;

You can create 'sub probes' which inherit settings from their parent.

*** Probes ***
+RemoteFPing
binary=/usr/bin/ssh
rbinary=/usr/bin/fping
hostinterval=1.5
pings=20
packetsize=5000
++RemoteFPHost1
rhost=pth01
++RemoteFPHost2
rhost=pth02
++RemoteFPHost3
rhost=pth03
<snip>
*** Targets ***
+FromHost1
menu = From pth01
title = Network view from pth01
probe = RemoteFPHost1
++somehost1
host=xxx
menu=xxx
title=xxx
++somehost2
host=xxx
menu=xxx
title=xxx
+FromHost2
menu = From pth02
title = Network view from pth02
probe = RemoteFPHost2
++somehost3
host=xxx
menu=xxx
title=xxx
++somehost4
host=xxx
menu=xxx
title=xxx
etc...

The RemoteFPTHost? probes inherit all of the settings (binary, rbinary,
etc) from their parent (RemoteFPing), but override their own rhost
settings.  Other settings can be overridden too, not just rhost (e.g. if
your fping binary is on different paths on the remote hosts, override
the rbinary setting for the appropriate sub-probes).  The sub-probes can
be referenced just like normal probes in your Targets section.

Hope that helps,
- Peter