[smokeping-users] Smokeping performance tracking

Jon Greaves Jon.Greaves at attenda.net
Wed Sep 12 09:17:55 CEST 2007

Hi Tobi,

Just an idea for tracking how smokeping is performing could you get
smokeping to graph the time each probe takes to run. That way you should
get a good indication if you are pushing a single probe to hard.

We have does some basic testing our setup is with 130 groups and around
950 devices with the following results

Setup: 20 ping every 5 mins 1 probe
Result: the machine struggled to finish 1 full probe cycle under 300
seconds

Setup 20 pings every 5 mins 1 probe per group (130 probes in total)
Result: waitio time hit 100% and eventually the box crashed

Setup 10 pings every 5 mins 1 probe per group (130 probes in total)
Result: waitio time hit 100% and eventually the box crashed but took
longer than above

Setup 10 pings every 5 mins 10 probes split across the 130 groups
Result: stable but not sure how much overhead we have (see above idea
for tracking)

We are hoping to push the setup up to 2000+ devices monitored once we
get to that I'll post back some additional results.

Current hardware spec
OptiPlex GX520
Intel 1 * P4 HT 3.4gHz
2Gb RAM

JonG

The information contained in this e-mail and its attachments is confidential.
It is intended only for the named address(es) and may not be disclosed to anyone else without Attenda's consent.