[smokeping-users] SmokePing, Ubuntu, and Permission Errors

David Tomic young_einstein at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 15 02:11:14 CEST 2008

 >>When I navigate to http://localhost/smokeping I just get a directory
listing like below there are not any .htm files that I would expect.

That's actually perfectly normal.

You need to visit http://localhost/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi to bring up the
proper page(s).

What I've done is just add a redirect for that address, so that anybody
who tries to load <url>/smokeping is automatically redirected to the
proper <url>/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi address.

To do that just add a blank index file to your /var/www/smokeping folder
[which is also handy to stop people from just loading the raw directory
listing], and then create a .htaccess file to redirect them to the
proper address.

Redirect 301 /smokeping/index.php /cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi

Problem solved.

--David