[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Apr 15 20:04:17 CEST 2008

Is there a plugin for smokeping that just does a standard ping, using
the system ping binary? Using FPing I have to give it a hostinterval =
15.0 directive in order to get any sort of reliable return, and even
then I have to limit the number of pings it sends out to no more than
6 or so. If I try to shorten the host interval, or increase the number
of pings, I start loosing packets. For example, if I reduce the
hostinterval to 10 seconds, I get a maximum of 3 packets back.
Obviously, this isn't a reasonable monitoring scenario.

On the other hand, if I just run a standard ping from the command
line, it works fine with no lost packets even if I tell it to send a
packet every millisecond rather than every second. As such, I was
wondering if there was some way I could just use the standard ping
rather than FPing to monitor these hosts? I tried echoping at one
point in the past, but it didn't seem to work any better. Thanks!
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd