[smokeping-users] Relation between step, pings and graphs

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Tue Dec 2 14:17:37 CET 2008

Hi Michal;

Step = how many seconds each round of polling lasts
Pings = how many pings are sent to each target during each step

In terms of relation to RRD,
1 step = 1 data point in the RRD file

Note that you should set the values such that you can ping each target
on your network 'pings' times within 'step' seconds, otherwise you will
end up with blank data points in your graph.

For my production setup, I use step = 180, pings = 20.  In practice this
means that each data point in the RRD file/graph represents a 3-minute
timespan with aggregate data from 20 ping results.

HTH,
- Pete