[smokeping-users] help needed for smokeping with Apache on Debian

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Jan 11 16:01:24 CET 2008

On 11 Jan 2008, at 01:00, Steven Jones wrote:

> I need some info on how to get the smokeping.cgi to generate and
> specifically get put in the right place (in this case /var/www/cgi-
> bin/). Smokeping seems to be running but there is no output or its
> going where I cant find it….

	I recall being baffled by this at first.

	There are two "sides" to Smokeping.

	"Side A" runs the probes at appropriate intervals and leaves the
	"output" in one or more RRD archives.  It needs write access
	to the RRD archive area.  I like to use a dedicated role account
	(user 'smoke', group 'smoke') for this purpose.

	"Side B" is run on demand by your web server as a CGI script;
	it retrieves data from RRD and creates display pages, including
	graphs.  It needs read access to wherever the RRD data is, and
	write access to a cache area where it creates the display.  For
	this to work, either your web server must run with group access
	to your RRD archive area, or you must have set up suexec so that
	the CGI script runs under the smoke account.  I include the
	'apache' user in the 'smoke' group.

	Both sides need to be able to locate and read the configuration
	file.  ISTR needing to restart either the web server or the
	Smokeping daemon (or was it both?) to force configuration changes
	to be picked up.

	It would be nice (and may very well even be the case, but I didn't
	discover how, back whenever) if it were possible to set a couple of
	install-time configuration variables and just use

		make; sudo make install

	I needed to fall back on the old reliables, cp, chmod, install and
	the like, and to work out from my logs what was still not working.

	I hope this helps.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9