[smokeping-users] help needed for smokeping with Apache on Debian

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 11 19:16:55 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:00:46PM +1300, Steven Jones wrote:

> I need some info on how to get the smokeping.cgi to generate and
> specifically get put in the right place (in this case
> /var/www/cgi-bin/). Smokeping seems to be running but there is no output
> or its going where I cant find it....

Hi,

the Debian package, which I understand you have installed, already contains
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi . This directory is the standard Debian place
for CGI scripts, and it's defined in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default as

 ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/

so the default Apache2 install should end up with
http://whatever/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi working.

If you have disabled this and want to run the CGI from a different place,
I suggest symlinking /usr/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi to the other place
and making sure you have the 'FollowSymlinks' (and 'ExecCGI', of course)
option enabled there.

Hope this helps,
--
Niko