[smokeping-users] converted smokeping to work with thttpd

Ryan Harden hardenrm at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 25 15:19:29 CET 2008

I don't use thttpd or Ubuntu, but have run across similar issues for
other projects where /var/run is a tmpfs. Why not just dump the lock and
PID files in /var/run and skip making a smokeping directory? This would
save you having to detect or create it at all.

As for which is more professional...using several of the machines we
have around here as an example: Some packages create a directory, some
just dump the files directly in /var/run and I don't see either as being
more or less professional.

In one case where I run smokeping on a machine on which I don't have
root and cannot write outside of my directories, I put my lock and PID
files in <smokepingroot>/var.

SideNote: putting the lockfile in the tmpfs would save you the hassle of
detecting a stale lockfile upon a failure of the box as it would be
removed upon reboot.

/Ryan