[smokeping-users] Reading the rrdtool xml dump and tie out graph

David Anderson - Macomb dwanderson at macomb.com
Mon Jan 28 16:03:57 CET 2008

I am trying to tie out the data in the rrd file and the graphs created by
SmokePing.

I have install rrdtool, and can dump the data to an xml file.

I am fairly sure that I am just pointing out my own ignorance here, but I am
not able to tie out the data and the graph. When I dump the data to an xml
file, and I get some thing like the following:

<lastupdate> 1201287439 </lastupdate> <!-- 2008-01-25 12:57:19 CST -->

Should I be able to generate a graph for just this time frame:

e.g. by entering a time frame: 2008-01-25 12:57:19 to 2008-01-25 12:57:19
generate

When I try this, it gives me a single plot graphed out. Then I expect that
the remainder of the data in this xml file would/should match with what is
plotted. So I am taking the uptime, loss, median, and ping1 -> ping20.
Converting the values from sci notation and I expect that they should match
what is plotted. But I get a medial value like = .0027847821400 and on the
graphs it is declaring a median value of 25.4 us avg. Am I missing a step or
some other simple math step?

Again, very sorry for the trouble & my own ignorance in these matters, but I
will need to be able to explain my findings, and I cannot be very confident
in it if I cannot tie it out.

Thanks for any support with these matters.
Dave.

--
... course don't ever tell anybody that they're not free cause then they
gonna get real busy killen and maimin to prove to you that they are  -