[smokeping-users] Reading the rrdtool xml dump and tie out graph

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Mon Jan 28 21:33:14 CET 2008

On 28.01.2008 16:03 David Anderson - Macomb wrote

> When I try this, it gives me a single plot graphed out. Then I expect
>  that the remainder of the data in this xml file would/should match
> with what is plotted. So I am taking the uptime, loss, median, and
> ping1 -> ping20. Converting the values from sci notation and I expect
> that they should match what is plotted. But I get a medial value like
> = .0027847821400 and on the graphs it is declaring a median value of
> 25.4 us avg. Am I missing a step or some other simple math step?

The definition of "median" is:

In probability theory and  statistics, a median is described as the
number separating the higher half of a sample, a population, or a
probability distribution, from the lower half. The median of a finite
list of numbers can be found by arranging all the observations from
lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one. If there is an
even number of observations, the median is not unique, so one often
takes the mean of the two middle values.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median for details and examples.

HTH, Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper / nIPper consulting, Sandhausen, Germany
email: arnold at nipper.de       phone: +49 6224 9259 299