[smokeping-users] Any downsides to running less probes more frequently?

David Tomic young_einstein at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 25 17:42:17 CEST 2008

Chris Wilson wrote:

> No, you'll get less information about packet loss and less detailed
> smoke. Remember that RRD aggregates this down to 5 pings every x
> minutes, 5 pings every hour, etc. regardless of how many potential
> data points there are.
>
> Cheers, Chris.
Sorry ... but I don't quite understand that?

My thinking on all of this is that at the moment I can only narrow down
the graph data [packet loss, latency spikes, link outages etc] to within
a 5 minute window.

If I run my probes every 60 seconds [instead of every 5 minutes as are
the default settings], then isn't that going to give me a more detailed
picture about what's happening on the link(s)?

I must admit that I'm not really clear on how the whole aggregation
thing works, or what effect that actually has on the grand scheme of
things, so maybe you could explain that a little bit further?  Is there
any way of changing that to better suit what I'm wanting to do?

Regards,

--David Tomic