[smokeping-users] Any downsides to running less probes more frequently?

David Tomic young_einstein at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 25 17:31:41 CEST 2008

G.W. Haywood wrote:
> I can't imagine that this would be a problem for your CPUs or your LAN,
> but be aware that things like ping can easily flood a network (even if
> it's by accident) so be careful if you use them on the public Internet.

I'm only monitoring a couple of dozen hosts at the moment, so it's
certainly not taxing my hardware at all.

5 probes x 60 seconds works out to be 25% extra 'traffic' vs the default
20 x 300.  Considering the tiny amounts of data we're actually talking
about I really don't see that as a big problem.

Even if I knocked 1 probe off and just ran 4 every 60 seconds, then that
would actually work out as exactly the same number of probes as the
default settings over any extended period of time.

> Obviously if you store more finely-textured data you will need more
> space on disc to store it. :)

Disc space is so ridiculously cheap these days ... so that's never going
to be a problem. ;)