[smokeping-users] Start off Y-axis with something other than 0ms?

David Tomic young_einstein at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 25 18:20:43 CEST 2008

A long time ago tobi wrote:

 >nope this is not possible at the moment ...
 >
 >I implemented it that way, because on a link with 250ms I do not
 >usually care about tiny fluctuations ... can you explain about the
 >need for this ?
 >
 >cheers
 >tobi

Hi tobi,

I realise that this thread is a bit old by now, but this is a feature
that I'd REALLY like to have as well.

My particular reason for wanting it is because of the multi-target
graphs that we've been able to use now since v2.2 was released.

For example: I've got a graph with a bunch of servers hosted in Europe
that are all between 300-400ms [I'm in Australia, so that's a loooooong
way away ;)], but the actual difference between the individual servers
is typically only 20-30 ms between each host.

What that means is that I end up with a graph that has a huge empty
space at the bottom - between 0-300ms - and then half a dozen graphs
squeezed into the few pixels between 300-400ms.

The obvious side-effect of all that is that it becomes virtually
impossible to see the individual hosts properly.

Here's an example of exactly what I'm talking about -
http://einstein.dontexist.net/smokeping/International/EU_mini.png

However, if I had the option of starting the y-axis off at [say] 250ms,
that would make everything much, MUCH easier to distinguish, because
obviously all the hosts wouldn't be so compacted together.

Ideally, I'd really love for this to be something that could be set in
the config options of each host/graph.

IE - Something along the lines of:

  ++ myhost1
  host = myhost1.example
  y-axis = 250

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on this ... and whether it's
something that might possibly be considered for a future release at some
  point in time?

Regards,

--David Tomic