[smokeping-users] Any downsides to running less probes more frequently?

David Tomic young_einstein at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 25 18:35:18 CEST 2008

Chris Wilson wrote:

> More detail on the time axis, yes. Less detail on the packet loss and
> latency axes, if you cut the number of pings.

Sorry ... but I'm still not really clear on this.

What is the detail that I'm losing in the packet loss/latency data by
sending fewer pings?

Is it basically just that [for example] a single dropped packet will
count for 20% packet loss with only 5 probes being sent, vs only 5% with
20 being sent ... or is there something else involved that I'm still not
quite understanding here?