[smokeping-users] Limitation on CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP probe?

Sorrell, Al Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com
Mon Jun 9 17:57:40 CEST 2008

All,

I'm using SmokePing-2.3.3 and making use of probe=CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP on
a number of Cisco routers. All have been working fine until the end of
last week when I added 2 probes generated from the same ioshost router -
let's call it "mnoprtb". In all other cases, there was only a single
probe from a given router. This error below looks like the probe may be
confusing something, although I do seem to be getting good data. The
ioshost is running IOS Version 12.2(18)SXF11.

In looking at the probe code, it looks like there might be an inherent
limitation of creating no more that one probe at a time on a given
ioshost router (assuming that all probes are running from the same PID):

   # use the proces ID as as row number to make this poll distinct on
the router;
    my $row=$$;

    if (defined
        StartRttMibEcho($target->{vars}{ioshost}.":::::2",
$target->{addr},
        $bytes, $pings, $target->{vars}{iosint}, $tos, $row,
$target->{vars}{vrf}))

I'm not sure what a good workaround for this might be, but this does
seem restrictive (and apparently not documented?)

=====

The following is from the smokeping.log file (router and community names
changed - but original is correct).

Mon Jun  9 11:23:18 2008 - my_RW_community at abcdrta.troweprice.com:::::2
supports 2.2.0 Round Trip Time MIB
Mon Jun  9 11:23:18 2008 - my_RW_community at efghrta.troweprice.com:::::2
supports 2.2.0 Round Trip Time MIB
Mon Jun  9 11:23:18 2008 - my_RW_community at ijklrtb.troweprice.com:::::2
supports 2.2.0 Round Trip Time MIB
Mon Jun  9 11:23:19 2008 - my_RW_community at mnoprtb.troweprice.com:::::2
supports 2.2.0 Round Trip Time MIB
Mon Jun  9 11:24:04 2008 - SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: inconsistentValue
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.2.9.1.10.29020)
SNMPv2c_Session (remote host: "mnoprtb.troweprice.com"
[xxx.yyy.zzz.aa].161)
                   community: "my_RW_community"
                  request ID: -2014353761
                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                     timeout: 2s
                     retries: 5
                     backoff: 1)
 at lib/SNMP_util.pm line 786

Mon Jun  9 11:24:04 2008 - SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: inconsistentValue
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.2.9.1.10.29022)
SNMPv2c_Session (remote host: "mnoprtb.troweprice.com"
[xxx.yyy.zzz.aa].161)
                   community: "my_RW_community"
                  request ID: -2014353761
                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                     timeout: 2s
                     retries: 5
                     backoff: 1)
 at lib/SNMP_util.pm line 786

=====

Here are lines from config (with similarly obfuscated info, for what
it's worth):

+++ UnixSw
menu=UnixSw
title=mnoprtb to hostrouter1 ( Unix Switch)
probe=CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP
host=hostrouter1
# <rw_com>@<router_doing_pings>
ioshost=my_RW_community at mnoprtb.troweprice.com
# source address for pings sent from router in ioshost line
iosint=xxx.yyy.zzz.aa
pings=20

+++ WinSw
menu=WinSw
title=mnoprtb to hostrouter2 ( Windows Switch)
probe=CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP
host=hostrouter2
# <rw_com>@<router_doing_pings>
ioshost=my_RW_community at mnoprtb.troweprice.com
# source address for pings sent from router in ioshost line
iosint=xxx.yyy.zzz.aa
pings=20

Thanks for any suggestions.
Al
Almon (Al) Sorrell
Network Engineering Consultant
T. Rowe Price - Corporate Network Services
Ph:410-345-3042 Fax:410-345-3030
Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.