[smokeping-users] Limitation on CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP probe?

Sorrell, Al Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com
Wed Jun 11 20:42:19 CEST 2008

I know it's bad form to reply to your own post, but further
investigation shows this is not related to having multiple requests
going to the same ioshost. I switched the second request to the
redundant twin of the first and now am getting two copies of the error -
one from each.

The 'inconsistentValue' seems to be coming from SNMP_Session.pm and
would correspond to a status code of 12. The OID being pointed at
corresponds to 'rttMonCtrlOperState'. That particular OID only appears
to be invoked from CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP.pm sub DestroyData where it's
being set to a value of 3 (immediateStop) which would appear to be
legal!

The particular devices that seem to be having the problem are Cisco
6504s running 12.2(18)SXF11. The other devices I'm probing from
generally are 2821s running 12.4(5a), so I'm wondering if this is a
Cisco bug, though I can't find anything on Cisco's site matching this
type of behavior?!

Anyhow, it looks like good data is being returned, it's just mucking up
the log!
Al