[smokeping-users] smoketrace for dummies help please

jsg at internode.on.net jsg at internode.on.net
Fri Jun 13 14:30:03 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

I've managed the upgrade to smokeping 2.4.0 without any major dramas,
but I simply can NOT for the life of me get the smoketrace part of it up
and running.

I'm very much a novice when it comes to all this scripting stuff, so I
think I might be in need of some pretty basic help.

Can anybody please spare me the time/patience to walk me through EXACTLY
what needs to be done, step by step?

Obviously I've tried reading the documentation ... but I'm still really
struggling with it.

Here's what's laid out in the documentation.

1. Copy htdocs/script/Tr.js to your smokeping web directory.

I'm not sure which path this is actually referring to?
All my images etc are stored in /var/www/smokeping but my smokeping.cgi
file is in /usr/lib/cgi-bin.  The latter is also where you're sent when
you actually load smokeping in the browser.  IE
myurl.com/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi.

2. Copy and edit htdocs/tr.html to your smokeping web directory. Make
sure the path to Tr.js is correct.
3. Copy htdocs/resource into the directory where you put tr.html.

Those should both be simple enough, once I know which directory it's
actually talking about! :p

4. Copy and edit htdocs/tr.cgi.dist to the directory where you put
tr.html and change its name to tr.cgi. Make sure tr.cgi to adjust the
use lib line to point to the smokeping per lib directory, as you did
with smokeping.cgi. Make sure the webserver actually executes the tr.cgi
script.

Is that supposed to be "perl" lib directory?

smokeping.cgi lists "use lib qw(/usr/share/perl5/smokeping);"  ... is
that what I should be using?

I'm also confused by the qooxdoo folder included in the smokeping
package.  I don't see it mentioned in any of the documentation anywhere,
so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be doing anything with it?

ANY help would be really greatly appreciated!