[smokeping-users] decreasing ping interval and improving performance

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 13:29:41 CEST 2008

Hello again,

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > ... looking to get some more performance from smokeping.  ... seem
> > to be limited by I/O and memory ... [30] probes currently use about
> > 3.5 GB of memory last time I checked.

Have you seen this?

>From http://daemoninc.com/SpeedyCGI/#FREQUENTLY_ASKED_QUESTIONS

"USING GROUPS

The group feature in SpeedyCGI can be used to help reduce the amount
of memory used by the perl interpreters. By default groups are not
used (group name is ``none''), and each perl script is given its own
set of perl interpreters. Each perl interpreter is also a separate
system process.

When grouping is used, perl interpreters and perl scripts are put in a
group. All perl interpreters in a group can run perl scripts in the
same group. What this means is that by putting all your scripts into
one group, there could be one perl interpreter running all the perl
scripts on your system. This can greatly reduce your memory needs when
running lots of different perl scripts.

SpeedyCGI group names are entities unto themselves. They are not
associated with Unix groups, or with the Group directive in
Apache. Expect for the two special group names ``none'' and
``default'', all group names are created by the user of SpeedyCGI
using the Group option described in OPTIONS"

--

73,
Ged.