[smokeping-users] smoketrace for dummies - oh so close

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Jun 14 08:02:55 CEST 2008

Hi Jsg,

Traceroute should be setuid root. The problem is that there were
security problems with traceroute (in 2002) that allowed a local
user to cause problems (?) by executing it setuid. So today, in
some distros the setuid bit is gone. Unfortunately without the
setuid bit, traceroute can not work properly for normal users. My
understanding is that the problems have been fixed, but the setuid
bit is gone anyway ... My suggestion is to run

 chown root:root /usr/bin/traceroute
 chmod u+s /usr/bin/traceroute

that will make things work for you.

Maybe there are more knowledgable people on the list who can
suggest  other solutions.

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902