[smokeping-users] TCPPing probe doesn't generate data

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 21:36:57 CEST 2008

Hello again,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 jsg at internode.on.net wrote:

> G.W. Haywood wrote:
> >
> > Here's another nasty hack, it might help verify the theory:
> > [snip]
>
> Ged ... I almost don't believe it myself, but we have *LIFT-OFF!*

:)

> My goodness ... I can't even begin to tell you how happy that makes me,
> because I've been pulling my hair out over this for months now.

You should have asked sooner.  It only took me ten minutes on a box
here - it only took so long by email because of working blindfolded.

> Thank you SO much for all your help [and patience]!

It was a pleasure.  Don't forget that you now have to help ten other
people, ten times as much (old Chinese proverb, or something:).

> Now if you'll excuse me ... I'm off to tcpping the crap out of the
> internet! hehehe :p

Don't get yourself blacklisted...

Bear in mind that it was a nasty hack, and that error messages and the
like from /usr/bin/tcpping and which aren't lines of data might throw
a spanner in the works - perhaps you'll need to massage the hack a bit
to deal with that.  I don't _think_ it would cause unpleasant surprises
on the network, but you can't be too careful with things like this.

--

73,
Ged.