[smokeping-users] No data being displayed for slave machine

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 15:11:29 CEST 2008

Hi Tobi,

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> the master/slave protocol hast not changed from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0

Thanks Tobi, that's good to know.

> to solve the permission issues, I would strongly urge everyone to
> use suexec ... together with speedy (or fastcgi) you get both,
> security AND high performance ...

I wonder if everyone reading that has also read this:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/suexec.html

<QUOTE>
"What is suEXEC?

The suEXEC feature -- introduced in Apache 1.2 -- provides Apache
users the ability to run CGI and SSI programs under user IDs different
from the user ID of the calling web-server.
[snip]
...if suEXEC is improperly configured, it can cause any number of
problems and possibly create new holes in your computer's security. If
you aren't familiar with managing setuid root programs and the
security issues they present, we highly recommend that you not
consider using suEXEC.
[snip]
... it is assumed you are familiar with some basic concepts of your
computer's security and its administration. This involves an
understanding of setuid/setgid operations and the various effects they
may have on your system and its level of security.
[snip]
... it has been the decision of the Apache Group to NOT make suEXEC
part of the default installation of Apache. ... suEXEC configuration
requires careful attention to details from the administrator.
... settings need to be carefully determined and specified by the
administrator to properly maintain system security during the use of
suEXEC functionality. It is through this detailed process that the
Apache Group hopes to limit suEXEC installation only to those who are
careful and determined enough to use it.
</QUOTE>

> we use this even for our php setups ... works very well ...

Hehe, I forbid the use of PHP on our public servers. :)

--

73,
Ged.