[smokeping-users] No data being displayed for slave machine

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sun Jun 22 22:05:39 CEST 2008

Hi Ged,

> > david at david-desktop:~$ smokeping --version
> > 2.004000
>
> I wonder if there's been a change from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0 in the way that
> the probes handle the data.

the master/slave protocol hast not changed from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0

> Someone else on this thread said that your Web server should be able
> to write the .rrd files, and that might well be the case in version
> 2.4.0 of smokeping.  You can easily test that.  Instead of giving the
> world write permission to the files, simply change the 'group' of the
> files to a group that your Web server is in, and then make the files
> group writeable.  Assuming that Apache is a member of group 'nogroup':
>
> chgrp nogroup smokepingfilename
> chmod 664 smokepingfilename
>
> The first command sets the group ownership to nogroup, the second
> gives read/write to owner and group, read-only to everyone else.
> You'd need to be root to do this.
>
> If this has the desired effect then we're a little further forward but
> then I think I'd need to take a look at the 2.4.0 code before saying
> much more.  Perhaps Tobi would be able to save us some time, which is
> why I've mailed this to him too.

to solve the permission issues, I would strongly urge everyone to
use suexec ... together with speedy (or fastcgi) you get both,
security AND high performance ...

we use this even for our php setups ... works very well ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 775 9902