[smokeping-users] EchoPingHttp

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 12:30:55 CEST 2008

Hi there,

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Schneider, Andreas wrote:

> i want to monitor a SharePoint Website with EchoPingHttp. But i always get 100% packet loss.
> When i run echoping from commandline with the -v switch i got message ...401 Unauthorized.
> OK, the SharePoint is a local Intranet and works together with ActiveDirectory authentication.
> So, is there a way to send authorization, so that echopinghttp is not refused?

If I were doing this I wouldn't want to send authorization, because it
might add a significant amount of unnecessary overhead.  Instead, I'd
request a URL which would cause a 301 response from the server.  I'd
use EchoPingHttp's 'accept_redirects' option so that a 301 is treated
as a normal response, not an error.

The accept_redirects option gives the '-R' switch to echoping, so you
need a recent version of echoping which will understand it.  The version
that I use on Debian Etch doesn't, and I had to patch EchoPingHttp.pm to
prevent the switch from being used.

--

73,
Ged.