[smokeping-users] Use of EchoPingSMTP

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Mar 11 14:56:24 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 01:48:33PM -0000,
 Cherrington Stuart <Stuart.Cherrington at rhul.ac.uk> wrote
 a message of 287 lines which said:

> smokeping[14496]: EchoPingSmtp:          Failed setting IP type of
> service octet (Operation not permitted)

On Linux (it seems to be te only Unix in that case), you need to be
root to set the precedence of an IP packet.

> The -P flag seems to be the culprit,

No, the "tos" option in your Smokeping configuration is (see
'smokeping -man Smokeping::probes::EchoPingHttp'). I advise *not* to
set it, it is of little use, anyway.

> so I read and re-read the man page,

It warns you:

       You may need to be superuser to set some -p or -P  values  (precedence  on
       Linux, for instance).