[smokeping-users] Graph scale problem

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue May 6 09:44:00 CEST 2008

Hi Ged,

> In that case it seems likely my modifications may become redundant.

yes, but it may be some time till the ajax version is ready, so
integrating them now, especially if they are limited to log scale
would be a good thing

> That's OK. :)  In the meantime I'll look further into the colouring
> issues, since the graphs which cover longer periods seem to give me
> far more pessimistic views than those which cover shorted periods.
> You can see what I mean in these examples:
>
> http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/link3-1.png
> http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/link3-2.png
>
> I estimate that between the two peaks (caused by the nightly backup)
> in the 30 hour graph, less than ten percent of the time intervals show
> loss of any packets.  In the 8 day graph it's nearer 40% for the same
> time period.  That's unacceptable IMHO.

Note that the graph will 'propagate' loss. If memory serves the
loss you see in the low-res graph is the MAX loss ....

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902