[smokeping-users] Reliable method

Bob Felts bfelts at emfbroadcasting.com
Wed May 14 04:26:09 CEST 2008

I am new to Smokeping and this list.  I hope this is not a topic covered in a FAQ. At least I did not find it while looking for answers.

I have Smokeping running and working well. However, one of my remote interfaces is showing BigLoss twice a day. This site sends a very heavy load of FTP information during each of these windows when I experience the Bigloss alerts. My understanding is that if there is traffic enough to warrant, pings can be discarded to avoid unnecessary congestion.  So, the question is, how do I get assurance there is an actual loss versus a heavy load of legitimate traffic which is therefore dropping pings?  The connection is a point to point T1 using a Cisco PIX 501 on the remote side, coming into our OC-3. Is there a more "reliable" method I can use than Fping?  We have no QoS available to implement here.

Regards,
Bob