[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Mike Lerley mike at rentageekme.com
Fri May 16 16:28:24 CEST 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Niko Tyni wrote:
>Thanks for the response. To provide more details: yes, the command
>line is just as bad- actually, the description I gave is from the
>command line, as it is much easier to run scenarios directly than by
>modifying the smokeping configs. However, smokeping shows the same
>behavior, and I used the same parameters as smokeping is when I was
>testing. FPing was compiled from the source provided in the OpenBSD
>4.2 ports tree, version 2.4b2_to. All devices being pinged are Linksys
>RV082 routers, with various firmware versions, but only a handful of
>these routers being monitored are showing the issue, so it's not an
>inherent issue with the Linksys routers. It could well be something
>with the links to the specific routers, but if so there is nothing I
>can do about that (as they are public WAN links, and as such outside
>my control), and therefore I would need a workaround, such as the
>standard ping I mentioned (which is apparently not an option). Packet
>size has no noticeable effect. What is so different between the
>packets FPing sends and the packets ping sends that could cause this
>difference anyway? Thanks again!

>Israel Brewster
>Computer Support Technician
>Frontier Flying Service Inc.
>5245 Airport Industrial Rd
>Fairbanks, AK 99709
>(907) 450-7250 x293

I have just started experiencing the same thing pinging a Linksys WRV54G
router.  I get exactly two pings back, and if I leave fping running in -l
mode I get two more after 5 minutes or so, and occasionaly I get pairs
returned after that.  Regular ping works perfectly.  I've never experienced
this before.  I swapped out the previous router, a BEFSR41 that failed, and
suddenly I'm unable to consistently ping the connection I did an hour ago.
 -mike