[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Fri May 16 17:58:56 CEST 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 6:28 AM, Mike Lerley wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Niko Tyni wrote:
>> Thanks for the response. To provide more details: yes, the command
>> line is just as bad- actually, the description I gave is from the
>> command line, as it is much easier to run scenarios directly than by
>> modifying the smokeping configs. However, smokeping shows the same
>> behavior, and I used the same parameters as smokeping is when I was
>> testing. FPing was compiled from the source provided in the OpenBSD
>> 4.2 ports tree, version 2.4b2_to. All devices being pinged are
>> Linksys
>> RV082 routers, with various firmware versions, but only a handful of
>> these routers being monitored are showing the issue, so it's not an
>> inherent issue with the Linksys routers. It could well be something
>> with the links to the specific routers, but if so there is nothing I
>> can do about that (as they are public WAN links, and as such outside
>> my control), and therefore I would need a workaround, such as the
>> standard ping I mentioned (which is apparently not an option). Packet
>> size has no noticeable effect. What is so different between the
>> packets FPing sends and the packets ping sends that could cause this
>> difference anyway? Thanks again!

>> Israel Brewster
>> Computer Support Technician
>> Frontier Flying Service Inc.
>> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
>> Fairbanks, AK 99709
>> (907) 450-7250 x293
>>

> I have just started experiencing the same thing pinging a Linksys
> WRV54G
> router.  I get exactly two pings back, and if I leave fping running
> in -l
> mode I get two more after 5 minutes or so, and occasionaly I get pairs
> returned after that.  Regular ping works perfectly.  I've never
> experienced
> this before.  I swapped out the previous router, a BEFSR41 that
> failed, and
> suddenly I'm unable to consistently ping the connection I did an
> hour ago.
> -mike

Interesting. Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. This
would also seem to indicate that the problem does not lie with the
connection itself, but rather the device being pinged. Of course, the
fact that a standard ping works fine as well would also tend to
indicate this. I also find it interesting that both the devices that
are giving me trouble, as well as the devices that are giving you
trouble are Linksys routers- although in my case it is RV082's and not
WRV54G's. Maybe Linksys has done something odd with their firmware? Of
course, this still doesn't explain why ping works perfectly while
FPing doesn't, even when fiddling with FPing parameters such as
timeout and host interval to make it send pings the same as ping does.
Annoying.