[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat May 17 06:53:58 CEST 2008

Hi Mike,

> Extremely annoying.  An example of the smokeping output can be seen at
> http://www.rentageekme.com/smokeping/?target=Other.Tobeys.Tobeys -- 9AM today
> is when I switched routers.  I have been running smokeping for years against
> many different devices and have never seen fping do this.  The linksys router
> I'm pinging does have the latest version of the firmware on it; I didn't test
> fping against the older version as I did the fw update before putting it into
> service.

just a question, why do you blame the messanger ... I am sure fping
does not send different packets than before. This could mean, that
your new router has the ability to rate-limit ping response, so it
only answers the very first ping packet it gets and ignores the
other ones ... I would asmume this is a configurable feature of
your router ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902